Top Free Firewall Software for Windows [Updated List]: If you are seeking free firewall protection for your Windows PC/Laptop, then you have reached the correct post. However, before we start, let us have a look at few basics.
- 1 What is a Firewall?
- 2 Best Firewall Software for Windows [FREE]
What is a Firewall?
In layman terms, you can consider a firewall as a protective shield that protects your private home/office network from unofficial access. A firewall is able to achieve this by consistently checking the data packets against the set rules. This is called Packet Filtering. Apart from Packet Filtering, the other two primary protection mechanisms employed by a Firewall are Proxy Service and Stateful Inspection. Hey, You can check out Best Running Apps [Fitness Apps] for Android, if you are fitness freak like me.
Types of Firewall
We have two types of Firewalls viz Appliance and Client-Based. Client-based Firewall is a software that’s installed on a device. While an Appliance-based Firewall involves a physical version of the Firewall in the form of a hardware.
What to see when opting for a particular Firewall?
You have to take in the following aspects:
- Threat protection and prevention.
- Alerts in real-time
- Impeccable customer support
- Command and visibility of your applications.
Going forward, let us check out the Best FREE Firewall Software for Windows. You can listen to Spotify while reading this article, and now you can Edit Spotify Playlist on Android [most awaited release].
Best Firewall Software for Windows [FREE]
1. GlassWire Firewall
GlassWire is a network security utility application that comes with an inbuilt firewall.
- The coolest part about the GlassWire Firewall is that, apart from present data, it can have a look on your past networking data as well thereby giving you better protection over the internet.
- Moreover, with just a single click you can block any program making this free Firewall for Windows pretty easy to manage and use.
2. ZoneAlarm Firewall
With ZoneAlarm Firewall, you are entitled to receive a free 5 GB of cloud backup.
- You can easily integrate this free Firewall software with a wide range of security programs.
- You can browse safely and securely as you will get WiFi protection, alerts for harmful websites, and protection from all types of cyberattacks viz spyware, ransomware, malware, identity theft, and more.
If you are tired of searching for best alternatives to AirDrop for Windows PC: Do check out this Best List of Alternatives of AirDrop for Windows PC.
3. TinyWall Firewall
If you are using Windows 10, then TinyWall Firewall is one of the best free Firewalls that you can use.
- The coolest part about TinyWall is that it even prevents malicious programs from modifying the firewall configuration.
- You indeed have to put efforts in creating exceptions for the programs that you regularly use but considering the advanced security that you are getting; this doesn’t seem to be a headache at all.
- TinyWall gives you real-time alerts, WiFi protection, LAN controlling options, and moreover, there are no pop-up ads.
4. Comodo Firewall
Comodo Firewall comes with a great deal of features and functionality.
- You get custom DNS servers, a Virtual Kiosk, ad blocker, and more.
- It is very easy to add programs to Comodo Firewall that you wish to block.
- If you are using Comodo Dragon secure browser, then you can easily integrate Comodo Firewall with the same to get a maximized security browsing, streaming, and downloading experience.
Probably the best possible way to Run Windows Apps & Games on M1 Macs, check it out and you would probably share with your allies out there for sure.
5. AVS Firewall
The major benefit of installing AVS Firewall is that it provides protection from external as well as internal connections.
- This free Firewall for Windows comes with an anti-banner feature that blocks all the malicious and unwanted ads and pop-ups.
- Moreover, you can set up firewall rules individually for different applications. Each application can have its own set of firewall rules.
- AVS Firewall even protects your PC’s registry from any suspicious access.
6. OpenDNS Home
OpenDNS is one of the brawniest free firewalls that you can install on Windows 10.
- It won’t allow threats to enter into your PC through social media or other relative platforms.
- The firewall’s interface is easy and quite simply to use.
- The firewall provides you with a wide range of filtration alternatives.
- Just like other alternatives in this post, this Firewall also doesn’t intrude in-between your activities but takes care of all the threats at the backend.
Also, do check out; 5 Best FaceTime Alternatives for Android (Mobiles & Tablets).
Final Words – Top Free Firewall Software for Windows [UPDATED List]
So, here we are with our Best 6 free Firewall software for Windows. If you have any other great option in your mind that isn’t mentioned in the above list, please feel free to put it down in the comments box provided below for the benefit of our readers. Have a happy, safe, and secure browsing experience with the free Firewall apps for Windows.